Re: cdrtools

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Joerg Schilling [Sun, Aug 13 2006, 12:28:15PM]:
>
> > The original sources do not have such bugs and many Debian users that
>
> Most of that is true if and only if the users follow your
> recommendations and strictly use kernel 2.4.x, ide-scsi emulation and
> install your programs as suid-root.

You again prove that you are uninformed.

If you did really work as Debian cdrtools maintainer, you would have read the
bug reports (in special Debian bug #374685):

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
I am not sure if I understand you the right way, but the facts are:

-       On previous Linux versions, it was possible to make cdrecord
        work without root-privs in case you did compromize security
        on that system and in case you did not care about coasters
        or write quality.

-       With Linux 2.6.x, it is impossible to run cdrecord without
        root privs.

        Do not believe single persons who claim otherwise as Linux-2.6.x
        filters away random SCSI commands when cdrecord does not have
        root-privs and as cdrecord heavily depends on the fact that
        the SCSI protocol depends on SCSI commands that "fail" because
        they are not supported by the actual drive in order to correctly
        support the features of the actual drive.

        It is definitely impossible to support "correct" DVD writing
        without having root-privs.

-       Recent cdrecord versions (see ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha)
        include workarounds for the incompatible interface changes on
        recent Linux versions and allow you to use cdrecord in case it
        has been installed suid-root.

-       The "latest" cdrecord version on Debian is definitely broken.

My suggestion is:

-       get a recent copy of the original cdrtools source from

                ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha

        and compile it.

-       Install the cdrecord/cdda2wav/readcd binaries suid root.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)