Re: package ownership in Debian (was: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2006.07.28.1737 +0100]:
> > If Debian had slightly less of a culture of "Keep your hands off
> > my package", I'd do it here instead.
>
> I've been thinking about this a lot for the past week.
>
> Is there any way this could be changed?

Yes, and we could start by really enforcing co-maintainership.  Make it 100%
mandatory for all essential, required and base packages at first.

Co-maintainers are much closer to what is being done in a package than
joe-random developer.   Also, co-maintainership is far less prone to
fire-and-forget uploads that hose things, and are nicer to people who feel
very strongly about their packages.

IMO, if we could reach a better level of resilience, lower response times,
and agility with co-maintainership, it would be better than going to the
extreme Ubuntu did.

> Does Debian *want* it changed?

I personally would welcome it.

  Henrique Holschuh