Re: RFC: ssl-cert2 design

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:53:22 +0100, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> said:

> On (28/07/06 10:03), Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> pe, 2006-07-28 kello 00:03 +0100, James Westby kirjoitti:
>> >   * Make it easier for package maintainers
>> >     - One extra dh_ call and maybe one more file in debian/
>>
>> How badly is this tied to debhelper? Any chance of designing it so
>> that it doesn't require debhelper?
>>

> Why does this concern you? I thought debhelper was fairly standard
> use today.

        It concerns me since I do not use helper packages in my
 packaging. Debhelper, while pretty popular, is by no means mandatory,
 or universal.

> But, yes, like all of debhelper it's just a convenience wrapper. If
> your package is very simple then in the postinst add

        Well, my packages are not simple, but I still prefer to hand
 craft them.

> if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
>   make-ssl-cert2 package
> fi

> and in postinst

> if [ "$1" = "purge" ]; then
>   make-ssl-cert2 -r package || true
> fi

> The dh_ script merely does this for you after adding any extra
> arguments to make-ssl-cert that you have requested with your
> debian/package.certificate file.

        This is perfectly fine, as long as there is a man page for
 make-ssl-cert.

> So, if you are merely concerned that it is /possible/ to do it
> without a dh_ call, then it certainly is. But I think it is a good
> idea to use it, as if the "policy" changes in this respect then a
> rebuild is all that may be required.

        I would hope that such policy changes be very few, once
 stabilized, and any minor changes would be subsumed in
 make-ssl-cert.

> And also it gives the maintainer more chance that any problems can
> simply be reassigned to someone else.

        I prefer to actually maintain my packages, not seek excuses to
 reassign bug reports to other people. YMMV.

        manoj
--
But was he mature enough last night at the lesbian masquerade?