Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/05/msg01440.html).
[...]
> Now that I know files which was compressible by gzip had good cmpression
> already inside PDF, I am leaning toward publishing PDF without gzipping
> even now.  Thanks.
>
> Just to rehash facts,
>
>   228023 fhs-2.3.pdf.gz
>   510762 fhs-2.3.pdf
>  2883196 fhs-2.3.uncompr.pdf
>   529987 fhs-2.3.recompr.pdf
>
>   798976 reference.en.pdf.gz
>  1239893 reference.en.pdf
>  2759682 reference.uncompress.en.pdf
>  1261303 reference.recompress.en.pdf
>
> pdftk can not be used to further compress existing pdf files in the
> archive internally.  They are well compressed.

This is expected, because they are generated with pdflatex or gs'
PS-to-PDF conversion mechanisms, and those use gzip with -9 internally,
so that's the best you can get with gzip.  It can still be compressed
further because in PDF, only some parts are allowed to be compressed
internally.

As I said in the earlier posting referenced above, *if* we really want
to go for smallest space, we should produce PDF files without internal
compression and use bz2 instead.  Maybe this is an option for
documentation inside udeb's, if there are any PDF files at all.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)