Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

* Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> [2006-06-25 10:18]:

> * Martin Wuertele [Sun, Jun 25 2006, 08:09:57AM]:
>
> > file-roller does view pdf.gz and if e.g. firefox handels them incorrect
> > it should be fixed in there. We don't change policy when programs are
> > broken, we fix them.
>
> What shitty kind of reasoing is that? "If it does not use my extra stuff
> then it is incorrect?" "If Debian does not use RedHat Kickstart then it
> is broken?"

Do you have some arguements beside the rant? firefox definitely should
handle .txt.gz and other gzipped plaintext documentation. I'm not
talking about pdfs, as in the thread back then I still prefere to use
the built-in compression available for pdfs.

> > > then I do not understand why it is done.
> >
> > See other mails in this thread, ther are good reasons to keep doc
> > packages compressed, e.g. half a gig of space saving.
>
> This extrapolation does hardly describe the real situation. Who install
> all -doc packages available in Debian and does not use them?

That number was from a typical installation. I don't think pdfs should
be gzipped but the built-in compression should be used. However not
compressing anything is a real unnecessary waste of space.

On my portable I have ~4.6K gzipped files in /usr/share/doc and only 39
of them are pdfs, 4 are html files.

I just copied the whole /user/share/doc (169M) to another lvm and
uncompressed everything in there - a typical installation - and
uncompressed all the gzipped files. That results in a total of 323M
nearly doubling the required space.

I favour keepin plaintext documentation gzipped therefore.

yours Martin
--
<maxx@debian.org> ---- Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal Operating System
Assembler is easy, just a lot of work.