Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

#include <hallo.h>
* Martin Wuertele [Sun, Jun 25 2006, 08:09:57AM]:

> > Yes, but the problem is that many systems (firefox, rox-filer etc...)
>
> file-roller does view pdf.gz and if e.g. firefox handels them incorrect
> it should be fixed in there. We don't change policy when programs are
> broken, we fix them.

What shitty kind of reasoing is that? "If it does not use my extra stuff
then it is incorrect?" "If Debian does not use RedHat Kickstart then it
is broken?"

> > then I do not understand why it is done.
>
> See other mails in this thread, ther are good reasons to keep doc
> packages compressed, e.g. half a gig of space saving.

This extrapolation does hardly describe the real situation. Who install
all -doc packages available in Debian and does not use them?

Eduard.