Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

Martin Wuertele <maxx@debian.org> wrote:

> * Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> [2006-06-25 12:06]:
>
>> And besides of that, compression does not make sense on most PDFs as
>> pointed out by yuo/me/many others and the remaining PDFs have good
>> chances to recompressed internally.
>
> And again: I'm here with you, pdf.gz does not make sense. Propably using
> the built-in compression might.

No, this is factually wrong.  PDF files produced on a Debian system with
any of the usual tools already have maximal internal compression,
there's no way to further improve that (except buying Adobe and allowing
internal bz2/7zip/whatever in the PDF standard...).

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)