Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:20:28PM +0200, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2006-06-25 12:09]:
> pdftk handels both uncompress and compress (see
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/05/msg01440.html).

I overlooked this discussion started by.

This had all the facts.  Interesting.  I must have missed nthis one.

> > I understand your point here.  We should not rush this nor unzipping
> > should be default even in the future for changelog etc.
> >
> > Step should be:
> >
> >  1. No more *.pdf.gz file. (That is now)
>
> agreed

Now that I know files which was compressible by gzip had good cmpression
already inside PDF, I am leaning toward publishing PDF without gzipping
even now.  Thanks.

Just to rehash facts,

  228023 fhs-2.3.pdf.gz
  510762 fhs-2.3.pdf
 2883196 fhs-2.3.uncompr.pdf
  529987 fhs-2.3.recompr.pdf

  798976 reference.en.pdf.gz
 1239893 reference.en.pdf
 2759682 reference.uncompress.en.pdf
 1261303 reference.recompress.en.pdf

pdftk can not be used to further compress existing pdf files in the
archive internally.  They are well compressed.

Osamu