Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

>     Russ> I'm dubious that's really the main reason for the NEW queue.
>     Russ> Looking at <http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html>,
>     Russ> the ftpmasters check a lot more than that.  In addition,
>     Russ> they also verify licensing issues.  I consider that check to
>     Russ> be an integral part of the Debian QA process and wouldn't
>     Russ> want to do without it.
>
> It which case, why do packages that a new but with known source appear
> in NEW? Surely the fact the source code is in Debian would imply that
> the ftpmasters have already checked the licensing, legal issues, and
> other things?
>
> In contrast it is possible to upload packages containing new upstream
> source code (but no new packages) that has no manual checking.

There still has to be a mail send to the US government (some of its
agencies) notifying that Debian will be exporting this (new) package
and that it might (or might not) contain cryptography. And that isn't
automated. For old package names the mail has already been send even
if the contents changes.

MfG
        Goswin