Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

Petter Reinholdtsen dijo [Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:00:47AM +0100]:
> > The mirror split is a complicated endeavour. From what I understood,
> > the NEW queue was put on hold on purpose until the split is
> > complete.
>
> Ouch.  If that is true, I hope ftpmasters will announce it to the
> developers, as a blocked NEW hinders development of Debian and should
> not we a surprise.  An announcement would at least give us some idea
> on when the NEW holding will end, and let us plan ahead.
>
> It blocks my development at least, as I normally want to make sure one
> level of dependencies are in the archive and doing well before I move
> on and upload the next level of dependencies.  Blocked NEW stops all
> progress in this case, and I spend time on other things while I wait.

Of course, I don't know your exact case or situation... But I think
you are overreacting. It blocks your development? While the FTPmasters
have their systems ready, why don't you set up a local apt repository
with all of your new stuff, so it doesn't block you anymore? Yes,
waiting and pinging them is annoying and robs some precious
time... But not much more than that. Specially once you know they are
not out there just to make you more miserable ;-)

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23