Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:49:39PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen dijo [Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:00:47AM +0100]:
> > > The mirror split is a complicated endeavour. From what I understood,
> > > the NEW queue was put on hold on purpose until the split is
> > > complete.
> >
> > Ouch.  If that is true, I hope ftpmasters will announce it to the
> > developers, as a blocked NEW hinders development of Debian and should
> > not we a surprise.  An announcement would at least give us some idea
> > on when the NEW holding will end, and let us plan ahead.
> >
> > It blocks my development at least, as I normally want to make sure one
> > level of dependencies are in the archive and doing well before I move
> > on and upload the next level of dependencies.  Blocked NEW stops all
> > progress in this case, and I spend time on other things while I wait.
>
> Of course, I don't know your exact case or situation... But I think
> you are overreacting. It blocks your development? While the FTPmasters
> have their systems ready, why don't you set up a local apt repository
> with all of your new stuff, so it doesn't block you anymore? Yes,
> waiting and pinging them is annoying and robs some precious
> time... But not much more than that. Specially once you know they are
> not out there just to make you more miserable ;-)
Hi Gunnar,
I think that alot of this issue is over communication and status. Like
those ---Mark-- messages in the messages log. If someone differentiated
it into a simple triaged state: unseen, seem and expect to process soon
and seen and requires more processing, it may alleviate some anxiety --
or maybe not.

But you bring up an intersting issue: that of blocking developement and
the intent of developers to get stuff in debian proper.  The intent of
the new queue and ftpmaster is to get stuff into the debian unstable
queue and to make progress in getting issues resolved towards making a
stable release.

But your idea sparked a differnet idea: What if you make a tiny
repository of currently available unstable debian package based upon
dependencies AND the unofficial package in the new queue that would be
used to allow people to experiment with these package in a way like an
unoffical experimental branch. This would not stop the packages in the
new queue from being examined but would allow experimenatal users to
test your work and give you feedback before the processing is done.
This would be probably closest to the marillat repo. The ftpmasters job
is to get a package in Debian but make sure it is dfsg-free and not
laden with various bug: run-time,compile-time, arch-dependant... among
other things. But while it is in the new queue, time is wasting not
having it getting debuged with other needed bits based upon depends that
are already in debian and if there was an unoffical testing ground it
may help.

I'd call it people.debian.net/~$username/ because it would be keyed to
each devs own packages that is the new queue and the .net because it
would unoffical (as in possibly not dfsg or ftpmaster checked). As an example:
package 'one' is in the new queue but depends on two, three and four. if
two, three and four are in unstable, then you mirror those to
people.debian.net/~joe/ and also have 'one' from new. Now someone can
add this repo to their source list and install and test stuff while it
is being examined in new. The only thing I dont know about are all the
details of package numbering and versioning, possible upgradability to
unstable, and build-dep and dependency issue in the Packages and Sources
files. But I'm sure folks can figure out that stuff.

This is not reinventing the wheel, but just making it more convient for
users and devs to get stuff tested before it gets processed by new.
Cheers,
Kev