Re: NEW queue backing up again -- ftpmasters, any explanation or comment?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

>     Simon> The main reason for the NEW queue is the US export
>     Simon> legislation. If it were legal to make packages immediately
>     Simon> downloadable, it would be done.

> In which case why do new packages with known source code end up in the
> NEW queue?

I'm dubious that's really the main reason for the NEW queue.  Looking at
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html>, the ftpmasters check a lot
more than that.  In addition, they also verify licensing issues.  I
consider that check to be an integral part of the Debian QA process and
wouldn't want to do without it.

US export legislation is the reason why we don't make things in NEW
publically available until after they've been processed, but that's a
different issue.