Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:52:51AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >It has been said that it is too much of a
> >burden for Debian maintainers to process the patches, and Ubuntu currently
> >has a miniscule number of developers compared to Debian.
> I wonder why the statement
>       "We are much less people than you."
> should lead to the consequence:
>       "That's why we refuse to work together with you in an effective way."

That is a gross mischaracterization of my position.

> >It makes more sense to make the changes, and make the patches available
> >to Debian, than to ask the Debian maintainer to do the work for us by
> >filing a bug report.
> Obviousely not.  If you see that this way does not work why not trying it
> on a different way, I repeat to save the time of the "miniscule number of
> developers".  Why not joining the Debian-Python list and make some noise
> about the things which should be done.  Why not having even a single list
> debian-ubuntu-python list.  I guess we have exactly the same problems in
> Python transition (well, we will have them later, but they will have to be
> solved anyway).

The 2.3-2.4 transition is a simple analogue of the 2.2-2.3 transition.  All
of the issues are well known in the debian-python community.  What do you
feel there is to talk about?

A more interesting example would be the C++ ABI transition, in which case
this is exactly what we did:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2005/04/msg00146.html

> If you do not agree here with me than I wonder why you are denying that
> Ubuntu is a fork (which I did not stated but which would become obvious to
> me if you would say that Python transition of Ubuntu is something
> different than of Debian).

I have no idea what you mean; the standard for Python transitions in Debian
has been established for some time now, and Ubuntu follows the same policy.

--
 - mdz