Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:20:39AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, John Goerzen wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:47:19PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After Sarge, releases, it should be pretty straightforward for someone
to set up a script to mass-mail Debian maintainers copies of the Python
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
transition patches from Ubuntu (or all of the patches, if that's really
what they believe that Debian maintainers want).
I'd prefer wishlist bugs tagged patch when there is a patch relevant for
Debian, personally.
The idea of filing wishlist bug reports against something a user wanted to
have changed is so straightforeward that I never expected that experienced
Debian users (= I expect DDs to be experienced users) would come up with
the idea of mass-mailing patches.

I assume this is meant only as flamebait, since it is fairly obvious that
there are often good reasons to prefer other means of contacting
maintainers, over mass-filing bugs in the BTS.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In your first mail you wrote about "mass-mail Debian maintainers" in the
second mail you turned my request to file wishlist bug reports against
single packages into "mass-filing bugs in the BTS".  I guess it is a
problem of my bad English but I mean if there is a problem in a package
file a bug report against this package.  A script which forewards diffs
is surely not what Debian maintainers want - you guessed it yourself.
BTW, there is a debian-python list
     http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/
where transitions oy Python packages can be discussed, if something is
broken in the current Debian packages.

This is an extreme oversimplification of the situation, but if you are
convinced that the correct approach is to mass-file Ubuntu patches as bugs
in the BTS, feel free to propose it clearly on debian-devel, as is
customary.  It should be a simple matter to script the submission process.
I see no reason to even mass-file bug reports if there is something wrong
in a set of Debian packages.  I would be happy if people would stop assuming
that DDs who are not involved in Ubuntu personally per definition are
criticising Ubuntu.  This is at least not the case for me personally and
I just try to enhance the situation for both sides.  If there is a reason
to mass-file bug reports than I see no excuse for not doing it.  It might
be that I'm simplifying things but often simple solutions are these who
are hidden very hard.  I just think that filing a megabyte patch to some
Debian maintainer via a script is not really the solution.  There is
something wrong *before* this patch was created.  This *something* might
be caused technical or social (or both) reasons.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de