Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, John Goerzen wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:47:19PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
After Sarge, releases, it should be pretty straightforward for someone to
set up a script to mass-mail Debian maintainers copies of the Python
transition patches from Ubuntu (or all of the patches, if that's really what
they believe that Debian maintainers want).
I'd prefer wishlist bugs tagged patch when there is a patch relevant
for Debian, personally.
The idea of filing wishlist bug reports against something a user wanted
to have changed is so straightforeward that I never expected that experienced
Debian users (= I expect DDs to be experienced users) would come up with the
idea of mass-mailing patches.

IMHO somebody who derives from Debian is just a special type of a Debian
user (he just uses the code basis) and for user wishes we have implemented
the wishlist tag in the BTS.  If this has drawbacks for certain purposes please
explain - at best file a bug report against BTS preferably with a patch.

I'm aware of that.  There are cases, though, where people tend to
create a difference when it's not necessary.  A common place is
graphics on the default desktop.  I don't know if Ubuntu changes
those, but I know some derivatives do, and thus have to fork some
packages.  I figure it would be easier to use /etc/alternatives to
manage those defaults, but that's just me.
... and me as well.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--