Re: daily pestering about s390 and sparc buildd failure

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:10:02PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > To me it is totally irrelevant. But tell that to the developers who are
> > waiting to get their packages into testing/sarge and waiting for such archs
> > as arm to finally build their package. With this kind of uploads you're
> > wasting *their* human development time.
> > For me running some machines with buildds on them it's next to irrelevant
> > what packages the machine will compile next. I just keep the machine
> > running...
> Ok, but that can only mean that we should try to fix the problems of
> too less buildds, in the worst case even spending debians money on it.

Not necessarily.
When you run a buildd, you experience sometimes the above mentioned
behaviour.
Testing/debugging per frequent uploads via the buildds would mean that the
project doesn't need any developer accessible means and all debugging can be
done via uploading packages and reading buildd logs.
It should be obvious that buildds exists for building packages, not for
debugging or testing purposes. For this kind of tasks there are the
developer accessible machines.

(and when there's a problem with sbuild you can download sbuild (as well
buildd) and start debug on your own machine. and when there's a problem with
installed packages that provides a package but not the files, the buildd
admin will most probably fix it when he can. maybe there's some cruft
leftover from broken builds, which happens from time to time, but again:
test/fun/debug uploads should be a strict nono! especially when the buildds
are loaded as they are right now and before every other release)

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/