Re: There, I think I got it

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:35:10AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@m4x.org> writes:
>
> > could you please stop breaking threads ?
>
> It's reasonable to request.  Indeed, I either do it intentionally, or
> I do it because I couldn't find the original thread, or because it
> would be too much trouble in the particular case to maintain the
> thread.  Sometimes it's just an accident.
>
> In this case, I did it intentionally, because the message gave
> information which might be useful to people outside this context, and
> those who may have skipped the thread would otherwise miss it.

You can change subjects (and optionally add " (Was: $OLDSUBJECT)") but
remain posting in the same thread. That'll alarm those not very much
following the thread that something new has come up in it.

People who killfiled/completely ignored the thread, are highly likely
also not interested in this useful new information. And even if they
were, it's their own responsability if one killfiles/ignores a thread.

It's people's own choice to ignore a subject, and you shouldn't
_intentionally_ circumvent that.

> > it's not the first time you do sth like that. and it's quite annoying.
> > And I don't care if you did it on purpose or not, you are the only one
> > on the list doing that.
>
> But it's not reasonable to demand or berate me.  There is no
> requirement that threads not be broken, and it would be foolish to
> create one.

Common mail conventions? Threads == grouping related stuff together,
intentionally splitting related stuff is just... weird, and also makes
it much harder after the fact for people who ARE interested, to find
this related post. Imagine someone searching the archives, thinking 'O,
I want to know how this story ends', but cannot find it because you
started a new thread? Breaking threads has more disadvantages than
advantages.

> I'm afraid occasional thread-breaking is just something you'll have to
> put up with, because it's unlikely to go away.

I hardly ever see it happen, I must say... and when it happens, people
are complaining.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar