Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge

martin f krafft wrote:

>also sprach Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org> [2004.07.23.0319 +0200]:
>

>Sure. But for Sarge, we did have the goal of a new installer and
>that took a long time. Right now, I don't seem to recall any equally
>big release goals for sarge+1, so we could release sarge+1 6 months
>later to include AMD64 and then aim for 12 months after that. 1 year
>of stability is enough. And it's not like Debian didn't have such
>short cycles in the past.

True, but then we didn't have 15000+ packages. Looking at the old
releases, you'll see that short release cycles happened when Debian had
something around 2000 (+- 100% :) packages.

But if Sarge is only going to last for 6-8 months (until mid 2005), then
that would be ok (ie. amount of time to wait for Amd64). The problem is
that people might want to get multiarch in and that would slow things
down. To get a short release cycle, the only "major" transition for
Sarge+1 must be gcc-3.4. Multiarch would have to wait for sarge+2 (ie.
Debian 4.0) circa 2006-2007.

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com