Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 04:39:57PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> That's true; I'm an amd64 porter that opposes inclusion in sarge at this
> time.
>
> However, that issue is orthogonal to inclusion in the archive in sid,
> which is something that we also can't seem to get done.

I've seen at least one message in this thread argue that a compromise
between the two positions might be to get amd64 in to sid ASAP with the
objective of waiting until some point release of sarge before including
it there.  Obviously it's not our normal practice to add architectures
with point releases, but I think it's pretty clear that real support for
this architecture is too important to wait until sarge+1 is released,
potentially two years from now.  Inexpensive amd64 systems are available
right now, and many high performance sites (my "real life" workplace
included) want to switch to it immediately.

How does the rest of the developer community feel about this idea?  Can
anybody speak for the ftpmasters regarding the issues they might see
with it?

noah