Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Op wo 07-01-2004, om 17:47 schreef Dominique Devriese:
> > And it would be less good; maintainers do pick up errors in
> > translations from time to time, which is valuable.
>
> FWIW, I've never seen that happen.

I, as a maintainer, have repeatedly done so.

AFAIK, you haven't been translating debconf templates into Dutch,
either; so it's not surprising you haven't.

> However, errors in translations
> will be picked up in the new situations too, by the people actually
> using the translations.

Yes, but errors picked up by users are different types of errors than
those picked up by maintainers, usually.

[...]
> > Please stop trying to subvert this or work around it!
>
> I don't think the little amount of extra checks on the translations is
> worth the enormous administrative workload on the translators.  Please
> reread Tim Dijkstra's post, and imagine having to do that checklist
> 10000 times for every single Debian package. ( Not sure about the
> number ).

Well, I am: it's wrong. If it happens a few times during a single
release cycle per package, that's a lot. Heck, we don't even have
packages that reach that number in bare uploads, let alone uploads that
include a string change in debconf templates.

--
Wouter Verhelst
Most people have two reasons for doing anything -- a good reason, and