Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:47:53PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:

> > And it would be less good; maintainers do pick up errors in
> > translations from time to time, which is valuable.

> FWIW, I've never seen that happen.  However, errors in translations
> will be picked up in the new situations too, by the people actually
> using the translations.

I've found errors caused by problems in translations in my packages
before.  I've also suggested improvements in the language of
translations.

> > Please stop trying to subvert this or work around it!
>
> I don't think the little amount of extra checks on the translations is
> worth the enormous administrative workload on the translators.  Please
> reread Tim Dijkstra's post, and imagine having to do that checklist
> 10000 times for every single Debian package. ( Not sure about the
> number ).

The entire process can be automated under the current system up until
the point where the translation has been submitted to the BTS[1].  Most
of that has already been done in the DDTP software (it wasn't submitting
templates).

[1] Assuming all the translators are using the system, which is a
    feature of all the proposals people have come up with.