Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Colin Watson writes:

>> I just wanted to say it would be a little bit easier, if
>> translation wouldn't have to pass through a package maintainer (for
>> both translator/maintainer).

> And it would be less good; maintainers do pick up errors in
> translations from time to time, which is valuable.

FWIW, I've never seen that happen.  However, errors in translations
will be picked up in the new situations too, by the people actually
using the translations.

> One of the jobs of a maintainer is to collate contributions to a
> package.

Here you implicitly define translations to be part of a package.
Another definition might put translations in one single different
package.

> Please stop trying to subvert this or work around it!

I don't think the little amount of extra checks on the translations is
worth the enormous administrative workload on the translators.  Please
reread Tim Dijkstra's post, and imagine having to do that checklist
10000 times for every single Debian package. ( Not sure about the
number ).

> If maintainers are being delinquent, they should be assisted or
> replaced. It's as simple as that.

Absolutely, but that's a different problem, even though it has some
relation to the one at hand.

cheers
domi