Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:07:04PM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:29:58 +0000
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > > OK, the problem of filing bugs on every individual package, and
> > > praying they get accepted, remains.
> >
> > Don't pray that they get accepted. Take the initiative and NMU in the
> > usual way after some suitable period. Everyone else doing general work
> > on our packages has to do exactly the same thing; what gives
> > translators a different status?
>
> For one: a lot of them are not DDs, so they can't NMU.

That applies to people doing other work on packages too, not just
translations. Get an interested developer to NMU for you; there are
plenty.

> And two: even if they were the point is that it means yet another step
> in the translation cycle.

That applies to people doing other work on packages too, not just
translations.

>  I just wanted to say it would be a little bit easier, if translation
> wouldn't have to pass through a package maintainer (for both
> translator/maintainer).

And it would be less good; maintainers do pick up errors in translations
from time to time, which is valuable. One of the jobs of a maintainer is
to collate contributions to a package. Please stop trying to subvert
this or work around it! If maintainers are being delinquent, they should
be assisted or replaced. It's as simple as that.

Cheers,