Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Scripsit Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
> On 2004-01-07 14:36 +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:

>> Lprngtool is a user interface for *changing* the configuration of
>> the printing subsystem. The upgrade may mean that the
>> administrative user interface stops working, but as long as you
>> don't need to change the configuration, the print server will keep
>> functioning.

> Really? I always thought that /etc/printcap directly defines the
> available printers and lpr[ng] relies on it to print.

Yes. It doesn't magically disappear because one installs a lprngtool
that is incapable of presenting it nicely in a GUI.

Think of lprngtool as a specialized editor. The file it's used to edit
is not affected by the editor refusing to edit it.

--
Henning Makholm                                          Set your feet free!