Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:29:58 +0000
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:54:39PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > Andreas Metzler writes:
> > > Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese@student.kuleuven.ac.be>
> > >them,> file a bug report on it, and then pray that the maintainer
> > >doesn't> ignore it.  Obviously, this is a pretty frustrating task.
> >
> > > Last time I checked the statistics pages on the i18n (or l10n?)
> > > part of www.debian.org provided lists of translated and
> > > untranslated packages and direct links to the the respective
> > > po-files.
> >
> > OK, the problem of filing bugs on every individual package, and
> > praying they get accepted, remains.
>
> Don't pray that they get accepted. Take the initiative and NMU in the
> usual way after some suitable period. Everyone else doing general work
> on our packages has to do exactly the same thing; what gives
> translators a different status?

For one: a lot of them are not DDs, so they can't NMU. And two: even if
they were the point is that it means yet another step in the translation
cycle.

* Find out something to translate
* See if there's already a translation in the BTS or somebody expressed
  the intent to translate
* Translate
* Ask for reviews
* Add reviewers comments
* Ask for final comment
* Send to BTS
* Remember to see if it was included or not
* NMU

But I want to add that we (meaning the dutch team) are managing OK, we
set up some infrastructure of ourselves and of course use
http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po-debconf/. We just need a
little more translator/reviewer-power. Also most maintainers I worked
with so far are pretty prompt in adding templates.
 I just wanted to say it would be a little bit easier, if translation
wouldn't have to pass through a package maintainer (for both
translator/maintainer).

grts Tim