Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

Wouter Verhelst writes:

> AFAIK, you haven't been translating debconf templates into Dutch,
> either; so it's not surprising you haven't.

I was speaking as someone who helps handle the Debian KDE bugs.  I
admit fully not having much experience with this, that was why I said
FWIW.  I should have been more clear about this.

>> > Please stop trying to subvert this or work around it!
>>
>> I don't think the little amount of extra checks on the translations
>> is worth the enormous administrative workload on the translators.
>> Please reread Tim Dijkstra's post, and imagine having to do that
>> checklist 10000 times for every single Debian package. ( Not sure
>> about the number ).

> Well, I am: it's wrong. If it happens a few times during a single
> release cycle per package, that's a lot. Heck, we don't even have
> packages that reach that number in bare uploads, let alone uploads
> that include a string change in debconf templates.

And here I should have been more clear too.  I meant 10000 times in
total, I didn't mean 10000 times per package.  You're right though
that 10000 packages should be multiplied by the amount of changes in
templates, so this would amount to, say, 20000 bugs that every
translation team would have to file for every Debian release.
Multiply that by the amount of languages in the world ( or, let's say,
e.g. those for which it would be more or less useful to provide a
translation, say, 50 ), and we reach a number of one million bugs that
would have to be opened per Debian release, for translation only.

You can argue about the numbers, of course, there are a lot of
packages without templates etc., but I don't think you'll be able to
get lower than, say 2000 bugs per language per release.  I don't think
it is realistic to expect such amounts of work from translators.

cheers
domi