Re: Services I'd like from auric

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 02:32:56PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Sorry, but that's how stuff works with security matters. Put yourselves
> > in their shoes and you'll quickly see that responsible admins can't and
> > shouldn't behave any other way.
> -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Was that an off hand joke, or a serious comment?

Assuming the latter; most of the stuff you can do by accessing auric is
a matter of convenience, rather than liberty. The easiest way to tell is
whether you can do the same thing without logging into auric. "madison"
can be done by poking through Packages files on gluck or other mirrors;
forking Debian can be done by getting code from CVS, and debs from the
mirrors; getting old versions of packages can be done by getting them
from snapshot.debian.net instead of the morgue.

There's stuff that can't be done -- eg, checking .changes files in the NEW
queue, editing hints files, and grokking through the projectb database --
but those aren't terribly urgent, and are bugs, not features.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004