[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Services I'd like from auric

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 01:57:59AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:15:33PM +0100, Martin Loschwitz wrote:
> > Restricting the access to auric on the long term is a clear vote of no
> > confidence against any Debian developer with an account in LDAP DB
> You seem to consistently use rather strong language... I wouldn't be
> surprised if this turned away any -admin members from even discussing it.
> And to answer that, yes, that's right, it's a vote of no confidence.
> There's nothing wrong with avoiding the situation where one has to trust a
> thousand people in favor of the situation where one has to trust a handful
> of them. Better yet, make that a O(thousand) possible sets of circumstances.
Yes there is. You take people into responsibility for something who didn't
do anything wrong in particular.

> > However, you need to understand (and accept) that for others information
> > from auric may be essential in order to get the tasks done they got done
> > so far.
> Okay, if you say so, I guess this really disables you from doing something
> useful, but I still don't see why you have to generalize and can't instead
> simply ask for yourself (and whoever else is in on this thing) to be given
> access to the data?
Seeing as many people expressed their unhappyness with the situation 
just on IRC in the last days, I do not think this is a problem for just 
a handful of people but for quite a large amount of them. However, of 
course, if things don't get back to normal RSN, i will ask for access 
to the data I need (as I don't have any other choice ...)

Your proposal turns up another interesting aspect, though. If I remember
correctly, even many people said that they wouldn't need shell access to
auric (and many of they said they wouldn't even need access to any other
.debian.org machine -- however). If the solution could be to give those
who ask for it access to auric and have access disabled per default, it 
might work just as well. The names of people who have access could be put
on a list somewhere. This will make the amount of people with access to
auric probably significantly smaller than it was so far with just access
for anybody.

However, it is my understanding that giving comprehensible reasons for
why you need access should be enough to get them. This may not become
a point where people from DSA are given the possibility of bullying
Debian developers.

> -- 
>      2. That which causes joy or happiness.
> -- 
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-request@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  .''`.   Martin Loschwitz           Debian GNU/Linux developer
 : :'  :  madkiss@madkiss.org        madkiss@debian.org
 `. `'`   http://www.madkiss.org/    people.debian.org/~madkiss/
   `-     Use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0!  See http://www.debian.org/

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: