Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

On 26-Nov-03, 09:27 (CST), Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>:
> > Hmm, are you aware that long living releases are exactly what enterprises
> > regard as an advantage and that this would support your "Enterprise-only-idea"?
>
> Two-three years? No way!

Absolutely positively "yes way". Remember, the usual purpose for these
things is to support internal applications (both server and desktop).
Changing the base of these apps is something to be done with great care
and lots of testing. Nobody wants to (or can afford to) do this every
year, especially when the existing systems is continuing to work just
fine.

Note that I'm not talking about security patches, etc., which obviously
have to be kept up. But by doing what we do: patching existing versions
with the absolute minimum change, not by upgrading to the latest and
greatest.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland