Re: exec-shield (maybe ITP kernel-patch-exec-shield)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:06, Peter Busser <peter@adamantix.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:26:50AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:41, Peter Busser <peter@adamantix.org> wrote:
> > > It would be somewhat beneficial for Adamantix if PaX was part of the
> > > default Debian kernel source. Inclusion of PaX in the default Debian
> > > kernel source could be a valid reason to cooperate with Debian on this.
> > > You didn't ask me about such a scenario.
> >
> > As long as no-one is interested in making kernel-patch packages for PaX
> > the chances of getting it in the default Debian kernel source is
> > exceedingly low.
>
> That says someone who is a user of PaX and not involved the development of
> PaX. Noone in Adamantix is involved in PaX development.

I thought that you wrote paxtest?

> So true. As you may know by now, I am not related to Debian. And yet a
> number of Debian related people shouted and yelled at me telling me that I
> should put Adamantix stuff in Debian. You are right, this hasn't happened.

I'm sure that if I joined discussions in the Adamantix mailing lists and
started telling people what to do then someone would tell me to do it myself
if I wanted it done.

> Adamantix works together with Gentoo hardened. I really appreciate this
> cooperation. This proves that it is possible to work together. But only as
> long as it is on a basis of equality and provides mutual benefit.

You said yourself that it would be beneficial for you to have PaX in the
default Debian kernel source.  That seems to indicate a possibility for
mutual benefit.

> Maintaining a kernel patch package is only beneficial for Debian, not for
> Adamantix.

That is not what you say above.

> I don't think that is the kind of cooperation the Adamantix
> project is looking for. You have to come up with something better than that
> if you are serious about cooperation in security issues. The choice is
> yours.

If you want to cooperate with Debian developers then you have to find some
area of mutual interest.