Re: Debian IS for the enterprise

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>:

>> > Yes we do, but we don't need xMb of Linux Gazette, 'lots' of megs for misc
>> > games etc. The list can probably be made long... That can be provided by
>> > any of the the Debian GNU/Linux derivates...
>>
>> You're missing the point.  Fewer packages doesn't automatically mean
>> more people working on the packages that remain.
>
> Those that are interested in making the best server distribution the
> 'Net have ever seen (which Debian GNU/Linux was 'once up on a time' -
> five years ago roughly) can continue. Those that aren't, and are only
> interested in calling themselfs 'Official Debian GNU/Linux Developer'
> can go work for RH. They make a sucky distribution so that should fit
> them just right.

Why are you so hung up on "server distributions"?  I've been happily
using Debian on my desktop for the last four years.  If it didn't
provide the stuff I wanted, I'd use another distribution (or, more
likely, package it myself).

For me, it provides everything I want on servers, desktops, and
development workstations, and my machine gets used for all three at
the same time.  Would you really want to throw away all the software
that many of our users (and developers) find so useful?

--
Roger Leigh