Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

* Kalle Kivimaa

| Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> writes:
| > They do.  They just get to wait less, since at some point (at least
| > for debian-installer), we get tired of applying their patches and give
| > them a CVS account.  After that has gone on for a while, we get tired
| > of uploading and checking their packages, so we pester the DAM to get
| > the account created.
|
| So, you're saying that the NM process is redundant.

Er, no?  The DAM will say «well, he'll have to complete the AM checks
before I'll create his account», then.  So far, I haven't seen anybody
who is both contributing a lot and has applied for NM but not
completed the AM checks.  I don't know about you, but the AM checks
took a couple of hours for me, and most of the time was spent waiting
for my AM to respond, not writing the answers to his questions.

| > Sure, just whine.
|
| An NM can do little more if he sees a problem in the Debian way of
| doing things.

You can't change a system from the outside.  Not even with a foot in
the door.

[...]

| It seems to me that I belong to the class of people Debian Project
| expects to contribute via bug reports and patches, not as a DD.

I am not the debian project.  I am one developer, and I'm trying to
tell you how the _current_ system works.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-