Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:17:20PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Oliver Kurth
>
> | Having sponsors is nice, but sometimes they are busy or not
> | reachable. I was also holding back some packages until I was finally
> | accepted.
>
> why?

Because some of us don't like burdening (yes some of us view it as
burdening) others with work are more than capable of performing on our
own.

> | I do not. The applicant should receive _some_ notice about what is
> | going on. Or at least get an answer when he asks. I never got a
> | respond from DAM.
>
> uhm, you think the process will be fixed if people are running about
> complaining about it?  if you've been around Debian for a while, you
> know that people have tried that approach without it helping.

NM applicants have two options (as I see it):
- accept the status quo and silently wait for months/years
- bitch about the problem enough that maybe someone with the authority
  to change it listens

I've obviously chosen the later (for better or worse).

> | > it should probably be a bit more open than it is today, but I
> | > really don't see the point of getting a bunch more maintainer who
> | > will go MIA in a few months.
> |
> | A /bit/ more open?
>
> yes, getting through NM now isn't very hard.

No it's not hard, it just has a very long (unnecessarily so) wait with
no explaination for it.  I didn't complain about it being too hard, just
that it's current broken and in need of fixing.

> | > And having people whine about NM right now is kinda silly: samosa,
> | > aka db.d.o is down and until it's up, the DAM can't create any
> | > accounts.

Great, that doesn't explain why people have been awaiting approval for
over 2 years, considering that new accounts were created roughly 6
weeks ago.  Just why no accounts are currently being created.
Something can still be done to correct the currently flawed process.

> | There is always _some_ reason... a server burnt down, keyring
> | broken, etc. I've heard many excuses. But never from DAM, and often
> | tagged with 'I've heard', 'there are rumors that..', bla bla.
>
> try pinging db.d.o if you don't believe it is down.  Or are you
> implying that DSA have turned the machine off in order to have an
> excuse to not create accounts?

We are not implying that the server is not indeed down.  However, this
is only a "recent" reason for DAM not to create accounts.  Where are the
reasons for those that have been waiting since _long_ befoe db.d.o died?
The fact that db.d.o is down is not a blanket excuse for the people
waiting for a year or longer.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar