Re: Daft Internet Stuff [Re: Returning from "vacation". (MIA?)]

Hi,

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:14:33AM +0100, Matt Ryan wrote:

> Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > However, I fail to understand why you want people to refrain from
> > bringing the netiquette under the attention of the people they are
> > receiving email from.
>
> Never said they should refrain. I do think that it's a waste of time though.

Well, you are completely free to choose whether or not you advocate
netiquette-compliance yourself. So if you think it's a waste of time,
that's entirely up to you, and in no way interesting to anybody else I
think.

> > IOW, if everybody just tries to accomodate some reasonable wishes as
> > stated by the other party as far as is possible without effort (and
> > including a text/plain part is no effort, not forwarding virus hoaxes is
> > no effort, but proving to a robot that you are not *is*), there is no
> > need to drop any netiquette rules.
>
> You don't need to drop any rules that you are happy with and comply with
> yourself. Just don't expect anyone else to do so.

Well, I can still ask, can't I? If it's no effort to the other party,
and after explaining the arguments, some rules actually makes sense to
him or her, then who knows, the other person may even comply.

> I don't like school boy rules and I thought I'd tell everyone. The
> netiquette stuff (and others) are a pretty exclusive policy as there are
> such a myriad of rules that can be broken that its use is more to make the
> other party look stupid compared to the technical knowledge of their
> accuser.

The fact that netiquette is being abused for such purposes doesn't make
it less useful. That goes for any tool, be it technical or social.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl