Re: Where are translated man pages packaged?

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 07:05:10PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Denis Barbier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is currently no consensus whether translated man pages should
> > be shipped along with original man pages or within manpages-xx packages.
>
> The general rule is that manpages-$lang contains translated manual
> pages from the manpages (upstream name: man-pages) package, i.e. libc,
> general and kernel manpages.  However, translation upstream make
> exceptions so section 1 pages are included as well.
>
> Hence, translations of manual pages from non-manpages packages should
> go into the package in question in general and not into the
> manpages-foo package.

There seems to be a consensus for this solution.

> > Unfortunately this leads to conflicts when a translation is first
> > shipped by the latter, then incorporated into the former (e.g. when
> > it becomes part of upstream tarball).
>
> "Simply" disable it from the manpages-foo package.  That's already
> done with the manpages package (read: check how it's done) in Debian
> as well, since it ships some manual pages that are also present in
> other packages and Debian considered the other ones more appropriate.

I have something similar for manpages-fr, but it is done automatically
since I am lazy ;)
No offense in mind, but could you please update the manpages package?
Even if many translations in manpages-fr are outdated, few are newer
than their original; when man pages have been renamed (e.g. ttys->ttyS,
I do not remember if there are others) this is very confusing.

Denis