Re: Daft Internet Stuff [Re: Returning from "vacation". (MIA?)]

Hi,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 07:14:07PM +0100, Matt Ryan wrote:

> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Well, yeah, sure, but the highway analogy doesn't apply. There isn't a
> > single technical reason why I as a random person need to ever be in any
> > sort of contact with a spammer to keep the system running.
>
> There was no mention of spammers in the thread! While they are prone to
> sending HTML emails its a general comment on people usage of the Internet.
> If you can limit yourself to contacts who are technical enough to understand
> the arguments why you don't like it then you can maintain the pretence that
> it doesn't exist. Those who have to communicate on a wider basis (perhaps
> for work?) cannot afford to drop mail to /dev/null and so will have to get
> used to it I think.

Few people are advocating to send every non-netiquette compliant mail to
the bitbucket.

However, I fail to understand why you want people to refrain from
bringing the netiquette under the attention of the people they are
receiving email from.

It's not that receivers of email have a /right/ or that they can enforce
compliance, but that was never the case anyway, in case you didn't
notice. You can't demand anything, but of course you can filter whatever
you like. It's your loss, nobody elses.

IOW, if everybody just tries to accomodate some reasonable wishes as
stated by the other party as far as is possible without effort (and
including a text/plain part is no effort, not forwarding virus hoaxes is
no effort, but proving to a robot that you are not *is*), there is no
need to drop any netiquette rules.

In short, I still fail to see your point.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl