Re: May I temporarily move away a conffile of a conflicting package? [Repost]

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:23:31AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:52:07PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>> Thomas Hood schrieb am Monday, den 07. April 2003:
>>> I suggest you remove the rc*.d links to /etc/init.d/exim.
>>> This will prevent /etc/init.d/exim from being run on runlevel init.
>>> If exim is installed again then these will be reinstalled.

>> No, they won't, that is the point; dpkg will think that you removed them
>> intentionaly and never reinstall them.

> Unless you remove all of them.

> You'll have to remember what links were there and restore them properly,
> though; the admin may have customized their order.

Hello,
Additionally there may not be any links at all, he might be using
file-rc.

> Sorry if you've gone over this already, but remind me again why this
> can't just be a new version of the exim package?
[...]

The main reason is that the configuration files are incompatible and
cannot be converted automatically. There is convert4r4, but the
resulting file requires manual checking and changes. (eg. convert4r4
cannot convert subkey-lookups and will loose some anti-spam features
like smtp-callback).

Upgrades will require manual intervention, and we want to keep exim v3
around at least for sarge.

Additionally using a separate package gives a fresh start and makes it
possible to test-install exim4 and painlessly switch back to exim.
             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"