Re: May I temporarily move away a conffile of a conflicting package? [Repost]

On 04/06/03 04:22, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Christopher W. Curtis <ccurtis@aet-usa.com> wrote:
>> On 04/05/03 04:22, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>>> For a complete discusssion see http://bugs.debian.org/183357
>
>>> The exim3 init script in sid has already been changed to use another
>>> test that recognizes exim v3 properly but this doesn't help the users
>>> who will upgrade from woody to sarge (when it is stable), switching

>> Can you just create a eximtrans3-4 package that fixes the problem with
>> the current (stable) exim package and make exim4 Pre-Depend: on it?
>
> Could you elaborate? I don't get how an additional package helps me
> with the fundamental problem - guaranteeing that another's package
> conffiles have sane values.

Well, I have to admit that I really dont understand the problem, not
having looked into it, but your message above would seem to indicate
that you have already fixed the problem for people who are currently
upgrading - but the problem will remain for people who are upgrading
from old stable to next stable.  If that is the case, why not just make
Exim4 predepend on the version of Exim3 that has the bugfix?  Or, on
another package that is just the bugfix, if that is possible ...

Make sense?

Chris