Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 10:45, Jules Bean wrote:
>>> Why exactly are they having troubles?

>> Well, what they typically worry about is that the trade secerets in
>> their drivers will make it too easy for competitors to duplicate their
>> hardware.

>> You probably don't accept that argument; neither do I.  But it's not
>> me you have to convince, it's *them*....

> It's awfully hard to convince them when there's no immediate downside to
> their actions under the status quo.

> "Make your drivers free, so they can be a part of Debian."
> "What does that get us?"
> "Uh... They move from one directory on our FTP site to another..."

This is a little bit contraproductive but it is the status quo:
"If you don't the package won't be built by autobuilders, which makes
life for the maintainer much more difficult - the package might not be
released with (the non-free addition to) Debian stable because of this."
             cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_