Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 10:45, Jules Bean wrote:
> > Why exactly are they having troubles?
>
> Well, what they typically worry about is that the trade secerets in
> their drivers will make it too easy for competitors to duplicate their
> hardware.
>
> You probably don't accept that argument; neither do I.  But it's not
> me you have to convince, it's *them*....

It's awfully hard to convince them when there's no immediate downside to
their actions under the status quo.

"Make your drivers free, so they can be a part of Debian."
"What does that get us?"
"Uh... They move from one directory on our FTP site to another..."
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's