Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr> writes:

> My point above was that we shouldn't go out of our way to prevent non-free
> packages from using the buildd infrastructure just because they're not free,
> and that seemed to be the place you were going with that comment -- "they
> aren't a part of main, so as far as we're concerned there doesn't have to be
> any discussion about this, they might as well all rot to death".

Please don't try and guess at "where I'm going".  What I said was
simply a correction of the original message which spoke of "non-free
Debian packages".  I happen (as is well known) to support the dropping
of non-free entirely from our archive.

But as long as it's there, I don't have any objection to people who
want to spend time on it doing so.  Just remember: it's not Debian.

> Now, whether someone is willing to code the support in the buildds, that's a
> different, mostly technical problem...

It's not "mostly technical".  There are surely many people who would
do the task, but don't, because they aren't interested in supporting
non-free.  That's a reasonable decision for them to make, even, I
would say, praiseworthy.

(NB: That doesn't contradict what I said above.  There are many things
which are praiseworthy to avoid doing, but which I don't object to
people doing them.)

Thomas