Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 03:25:46PM -0800, Stephen Zander wrote:
> That certainly wasn't the case the last time I asked about packgaes in
> non-free. <URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200210/msg00230.html>
>
> Personally, I wish someone would (re-)propose a GR so this pointless
> bickering can go away once & for all.

Well, that someone was me last time.  What do people think about it now?

I would be happy to resurrect it and re-propose it now.  I feel its need
even more now than before.

We have come a long way in many respects, and I really see no reason that
Debian needs to be providing non-free software.

Obviously we still have the issue of immutability of the Social Contract.
Several people felt that we could never modify it.  I disagree, and believe
that it was never meant to constrain us in this way.  We are violating it
now, so I suppose we could just violate it in a different way and remove
non-free altogether; or we could own up to what we're doing and make our
promise and intentions clear.

-- John