Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:30:10AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 09:40:56AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > DFSG requires that software to be modifiable, and distributed
> > with full source, and even be resellable.
> > That might be too-high a hurdle for hardware vendors to
> > go over.
>
> <sarcasm>  Yes, I'm sure that having thousands of people find novel uses for
> their product is their worst nightmare. </sarcasm>

You're preaching to the choir....

> Why exactly are they having troubles?

Well, what they typically worry about is that the trade secerets in
their drivers will make it too easy for competitors to duplicate their
hardware.

You probably don't accept that argument; neither do I.  But it's not
me you have to convince, it's *them*....

Jules