Re: postgresql and debconf [Re: package and dpkg improvements to help autoinstallers]

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 00:33, Scott Dier wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 02:27, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>
> > user choose not to, every time an upgrade is necessary just mail root
> > and put in the mail the address of an upgrade script.
>
> Please either use debconf or provide a (standard?) environment variable
> to avoid such emails to those who want to suppress them, however.  (With
> the idea that providing me plenty of rope to hang myself is not an
> issue.)

I don't follow your reasoning here.  This discussion is all about using
debconf, but there are cases where it is not safe to allow debconf to
control everything. Why should you want to suppress an email telling you
that you need to do something to get your database working again?  How
would an environment variable help?

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good
      courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for
      the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou
      goest."                        Joshua 1:9