Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:52:30 -0700
"Joel Baker" <lucifer@lightbearer.com> wrote:

> <snip>. If professional release
> management experience isn't good enough to qualify someone to comment on
> the issues with Debian, I don't think I want to know what is.

As an outsider to managing projects i percieve that there would be a real difference between managing commercial and volunteer projects. Thats not to say i dont apreciate your thoughts, its just that you _may_ have to adapt to a different set of rules here (i dont know what you were managing).

With commercial projects a manager has more power over workers to demand the job gets done on time, that power doesnt exist in volunteer projects, which is the reason why i think putting a hard time limit on a release wouldnt work.

I do think release managment can be improved, but i dont think it will be simple, i think the current method of freezing in stages is a very good move.

When judging our previous release schedules i think its important to note that the size of the archive debian is releasing is increasing substantially every release. If each release takes the same time but we release four times more stuff (increased number of packages and architectures) then i think the release process has improved.

Glenn