Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 06:25:17PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> "Joel Baker" <lucifer@lightbearer.com> writes:
>
> > The way that I talked about previously in this thread. If a task is too big
> > to be completed in one release... then the task is too big. Break it up,
> > and make it into smaller tasks that *can* get done.
>
> There really are packages which require lots of time, even if they
> don't require all 8000 packages to be changed.
>
> If emacs policy, say, were to be significatly changed in some ways, a
> lot of packages would be implicated.  You seem to be saying we should
> just never make those changes.
>
> Saying "if there's a big change, just break it up" doesn't answer the
> question.  Some changes really *are* big changes and just take real
> time to implement.

And each of those packages has it's own maintainer. Who has 2 months to
update the package, and then usually another month to make sure the update
is vetted. If they can't, or won't, do that - then they shouldn't be doing
the maitenence of such a crucial package.

Not to mention things like, oh... /usr/share/doc. How long has it been,
since that cutover was started? Limited duration legacy support allows for
a great deal of flexibility.

Release foo: declare /usr/share/doc the preferred method, ensure that the
old directory is supported sanely, and file wishlist bugs on all packages
that use /usr/doc.

Release foo+1: make the use of /usr/doc a lintian warning, and upgrade any
outstanding bugs from release foo.

Release foo+2: remove legacy support; any use of /usr/doc is now a serious
enough bug to prevent package release (and should indicate a problem with
the maintenence, most likely...)

Break. The. Task. Up.

Claims that this is impossible don't hold much weight with me, when people
all around us *are doing it*. It is clearly, and observably, possible. Say
that it's more work than you think is worthwhile, if that's what you mean,
but don't claim it's impossible.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/