Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 05:52:19PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 11:31:19AM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> > I think that a shortened release cycle could help us.  As it is now, it
> > is basically "go until the release manager says stop".  Instead, if we
> > commit to freezing after 6 or 9 months of development, then spending a
> > couple of months fixing the frozen distribution, I think we could still
> > keep our high quality stable releases, but not have them be so out of
> > date.
>
> So, it's freezing after a while and being frozen for a while. Isn't that
> _exactly_ what we were trying to do all these years?

No.  The difference is that you pick a *short* fixed amount of time
before the freeze.  I'd suggest 2 months.

That forces you to drastically limit the changes to basic things, like
say, boot floppies.  A smaller change has a higher chance of
stabilizing in a reasonable amount of time (say another 2 months).
Voila: 3 releases/year.

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,