Re: Debian doesn't have to be slower than time.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:28:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 07:44:35PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> > Claims that this is impossible don't hold much weight with me, when people
> > all around us *are doing it*. It is clearly, and observably, possible. Say
> > that it's more work than you think is worthwhile, if that's what you mean,
> > but don't claim it's impossible.
>
> Joel, this is all very clever of you, but you really just don't know
> what you're talking about. Hang around for a while, help out fixing RC
> bugs (and others), and actually get some experience, then comment. Until
> you've done that, you just won't understand the complexities involved in
> enough detail to apply the generalisations you're making in a helpful
> way, and you probably won't get enough respect to be taken remotely
> seriously either.

Indeed. I will remember this, the next time I see someone asking for more
non-developer assistance with Debian. It has become clear to me that the
private replies in my inbox are correct - some large number of maintainers
(as opposed to users) do not view the status quo as broken in any fashion.

Anyone who wishes to see what sort of bugs I've been working on is welcome
to view them. The BTS has a lovely feature for it. Use the obvious email.
And, for the record, none of this has ever been about Woody, so saying "fix
some RC bugs" - the most popular cry - has no real meaning to me. I don't
bail water from a ship when it's pouring in beneath the waterline, unless
I have a plan to fix it that requires me to get the waterline that low so
that I can reach it. Right now, there's no plan - and the hole gets bigger
the longer folks keep bailing. This is not just my opinion. Go look at a
graph of the release times for yourself.

(Currently taking a betting pool on whether my maintainer status or Woody
arrives first...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/