Re: Trying to fix slang (xterm)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 04:23:50PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> You should see to it that debian's xterm config works for ALL users of
> debian systems. "users" covers people who connect to debian systems, not
> just people who run debian on their own desktops.

You seem to think it's *possible* to make everything work perfectly for
everyone.  (This speaks of a lack of experience, in my opinion ...)

> Right now, you have the "majority" covered. But you could cover 100% of
> them by following the xterm FAQ recommendations.

Which might well change "majority" to "minority".

> The fact that you deliberately choose not to, shows a poor attitude towards
> making debian the best it can be.

*groan*  (well, at least Branden's response to this may be entertaining)

> Nothing shows this off better than your own proud proclamation that you
> ignored a direct request from the founder of Debian, Ian, to make xterm
> configs more globally compatible.

Since when is "refusing *and defending that decision*" equivalent to
"ignoring"?  It's the exact opposite, in fact.  Do you think his
response on the phone was to hang up?  I doubt it.

And why do you refuse to take this upstream, where it belongs?  If it's
possible to make xterm more interoperable than it is now, that's the
place to do it.  If Thomas isn't going to do it, there's probably a
reason.

--
Glenn Maynard