Re: Trying to fix slang (xterm)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:13:53AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:06:06PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
> > It doesnt have to be incompatible.
> > You could just toss out the conflicting stuff, and have the pure 'xterm'
> > terminfo entry be something compatible with *both* versions.
>
> I think that would probably break reverse-video altogether.

Right now, I happen to be on a solaris box.
I have a stock solaris xterm, and an xfree4.1.0 xterm running side by side.
Both are using the stock solaris 'xterm' terminfo entry.
[which is derived from  @(#)termcap.src 8.2 (Berkeley) 11/17/93]

emacs, etc. seems to display its reverse-video status bar just fine
in both.

I read the FAQ link you gave, http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html
It mentions 'less' specifically in its "broken reverse-video" section.
I'm pulling up less on a file. Works fine.
I'm doing a search, which highlights. Doing something else resets it just
fine. So the FAQ seems out of date.

What else do you think would break?

    --------------------

PS: The FAQ ITSELF recommends what I'm suggesting, and shows how to do
it without a recompile:

"If, for example, you are running an older xterm and rlogin to a system
 where the newer xterm has been installed, you will have this problem,
 because both programs default to $TERM set to xterm. The solution for mixed
 systems is to install the newer terminal description as as a different name
 (e.g., xterm-color) and set the termName resource accordingly in the
 app-defaults file for the system which has the newer xterm."

Therefore, by the very same FAQ you cited, you should alter the xterm
App-Defaults file on debian to have termName be something other than
vanilla "xterm". Lower down, it suggests using "xterm-xfree86" as
the id for xfree86 xterms.

But either way, you should see to it that the vanilla 'xterm' terminfo
is made just that: vanilla